Wednesday, February 15, 2006

 
I recently responded to a friend on mental toughness and racing. I thought it would make a good blog post. Here is my response

I think the mental toughness is the most difficult one to develop. It is like boxing, you know your going to get hit, just accept it and acknowledge that you are going to be hit and hurt. Racing is the same. For me if I have not "race til I puked" I know I have not raced hard enough. I have way to much kick at the end of my 5K's and hence both things are telling me I am not pushing myself hard enough. This is why I consider myself an average runner, it isn't the speed I have, it is the ability to dig down and push beyond your comfort zone, push to the point of passing out. In my opinion that is what separates the really good racers from me. They can push themselves to the point of complete exhaustion.

Mental toughness is what makes a good runner a great runner. For me it running is a demonstration of your mental strength and never has been about how fast you are. There are runners slower than me that I admire for their mental toughness. They push themselves much farther and harder than you would expect.

I think for some of us who become "faster" become complacent and lose the hunger to push harder, faster and to the point of losing ourselves in the race.

Racing does help develop it, but it takes more than that. It takes dedication, determination and a will power. Mental toughness is easier when your not tired and have taper for the race. Planning is critical to running a good race along with rest and having everything in place to do well.

Well I have rambled on long enough. Just my 2 cents on racing and mental toughness. 9 days to Gasparilla.

Enjoy the day!

Comments:
I couldn't agree with you more. I never would have been able to finish my first marathon (by myself!) if it was not for my mental edge. It's harder for me to run because I do not have the "typical" runners build and none of my friends run with me. But I guess it makes it that much more worthwhile.
 
Your friend really appreciates your comments. Let's resume the average vs. great runner debate after Gasparilla.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?