Saturday, May 27, 2006

 
3rd Time is not a charm.

After having two good races in past weekends, I was all geared up and excited for the 10K today. I knew the course would be long gradual hills both up and down but felt confident in my ability to run between 41 and 41:30 1oK time.

The night before it was thundering, lighting and ultimately raining which did not bode well for a non humid race. Nevertheless I still felt good (ah the tricks we play on ourselves!).

Race time it was 83 degrees and already 95% humidity at 8 am. After we all whined and bitched at Ron the weather guy (he works for the government as a meteroligist) we did the race. First half the race went right on plan. Hit the 5K mark at 20:15 and felt good. Then it fell apart at mile 4. I had an asthma attack, the heat and humidity took its toll and the chest tightened up and I was forced to slow down. Bottom line was the 2nd 5K was a dissapointing 22:35.

Overall out of the 103 runners on the 10K I was 13th and 1st in Age group. Times were a bit slower for everyone as this was the first of the summer races with both heat and humidity.

I look forward to my 17 mile run tomorrow and ignore the off time I had. Next race is in June in Seattle with my son, son in law, a fellow roads scholar and fellow blogger No Try. We invited another blogger to join us but she decided to flee the state and go rafting rather than race us!

Enjoy the day everyone, I am having 2 beers and 1 chocolate bananna cheesecake tonight!

Comments:
After a time like that a treat is well-deserved.

Have fun on the 17 miler!
 
Disappointing?? I don't have asthma, so what's my crummy excuse? How can you be disappointed in yourself given the circumstances? I think that was a well deserved treat, as well!
 
Thanks RR, it is all relative. I do expect more from myself and running against certain goals. Everyone's times were down so I am not to unhappy it is the splits that make me annoyed with myself.

I hate using asthma as an excuse but it is there and does affect me.

Thanks for you support!
 
Who's the other blogger you invited? Anyone I know??

Poor Ron. You do realize that meteorologists don't CREATE the weather, they just mis-report it. :)

See ya sooooooooon.
 
Nice job in the age group and overall! Sorry the asthma attacked. I hate this heat and humidity. It's way to soon for this.
 
I can relate to the heat and humidity. Sorry your race didn't go better, too bad they can't all be good. But you still had a good effort all things considered.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?