Monday, June 26, 2006

 
Lame week of running.

After the fun week of running in Seattle and meeting the Tamster, reality of work, life and the balance struck this past week. I hit a low mileage of just 27 miles for the past week which is sort of good as I have a couple of hard races coming up. However I normally would cut back to 35 miles for the 5K on this coming saturday and 20 miles for the 10K on July 8th.

Both of these races I hate. The 5K I have not yet broken 20 minutes on as it is bloody hot and humid. Fortunately it is over and takes me most of the day to recover. Typically the heat index is around 100 degrees and you see the steam rising from the ground. Does wonders for my asthma!

July 8th is the Tri Span 10K. This is basically the race from hell. To say I hate this race is an understatement. Every year there is something new that happens to me. 4yrs ago I pulled a hamstring on the race (56 min time PW), 3 yrs ago I broke 6 ribs in a bike accident a two weeks prior (50 min 3rd worse PW) to the race, two years ago i was rear ended 2 days before the race (concussion and bruising face etc left dr to go run race and then came back) time was 48 min, and last year two days before the race was stuck in the Philadelphia airport for 9 hrs and got in at 3 am and sort of slept off and on for a day before doing the race (just under 44 min). On top of this, it is usually close to 90 degrees and extremely humid with 3 steep bridges to run over along with a 1 mile stretch on asphalt (you just bake on it). So why do I run it? I run it because it is part of the grand prix (GP) race series and hate losing GP points.

Plan on an easy 30 mile running week and cut back to 20 miles the week after. Then I get serious about my running again and start my Las Vegas Marathon training (I am going to get BQ!) Besides if I dont run hard, fellow bloggers Dani and Running Rabbit will get so fast I will never catch them on a marathon!

Enjoy the day everyone.

Comments:
Hmmm... why do I see the word "hate" in so many of your race descriptions? You need to work on the power of positive thinking :) You don't 'hate' these races, you LOVE them!!! Belief it, create it.

That's my 'Bastyrian' comment for the day.
 
Baby doll...I will never catch up to you. Even with my "Special Pink Racing" shoes. I think I'll always be eating your dust. But what's so wrong with a girl passing you anyways? I sense a competitive streak in you! :-)
 
I agree with RR, what's wrong with a girl passing you?? Then you have a ponytail to follow in to the finish!! :)

I was going to ask why run races that you hate!! I should do the GP thing they have around here one of these years...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?