Monday, July 17, 2006

 
Summer of Love 5 miler Race Report

Saturday evening we did the 5 miler. In a nutshell it was just hot. Goal was to keep an easy pace and basically survive the heat. Race time temps were 94 and humidity was 97% (thunderstorms off and on during late afternoon).

Most of the speed demons showed uncommonly good sense and avoided the race allowing me a chance to place. I did not taper for the race and chose to use it as a speed work out.

Splits are as follows:
Mile 1 6:16 (tad fast)
Mile 2 6:52 (settled down)
Mile 3 7:00
Mile 4 6:55
Mile 5 6:57
Overall time 34:01

Finished 1st in Male 40-49 age group and just barely beat out the 2nd place age group by 2 seconds. 3rd in age group was another 5 seconds behind him. They both had passed me at mile 2 but I kept my pace and even though they were more than a quarter mile ahead of me by mile 3 I could see they were tiring faster than I was. I caught them just after the 4 mile mark and noticed they were struggling just as bad as I was. It came down to the last quarter mile and I fortunately had enough kick to out run them to the finish. Both of these guys had beat me on the same course in December so it was nice to give them payback. The t shirts were tye dye shirts and the age group awards were lava lamps with engravings on them.

The only negative was given the heat the end of the race resembled a mash unit and the medics were busy with fluids.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Comments:
6:16. I don't think I could run that pace for 200 meters, let alone 1 mile. Sigh. I've got so much work to do!
 
I had a 5 miler I had wanted to run yesterday but unfortunately things happened and I wasn't able to make it...:( Hopefully I can get into a race sometime in the next few weeks.

Great job on the age placement!! Sounds like you ran smart in the heat.
 
Way to out-kick those guys! :) And in that heat?! WOW! Nice race!
 
Look at you bud!! I'm so proud of you!
 
Great pace, especially in that heat! Congrats!
 
Wow... look at all the cute girls hangin' out at Kurt's blog! hehe.

NIce job on the placement... don't let the heat get ya! It was a sweltering 73F here today :)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Well Tammy I'm afraid I'll have to break the pretty girl chain.

Well done Kurt.
 
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Your all awesome runners!
 
A great race in a horrible weather. Congrats!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?