Monday, October 09, 2006

 
Crazy and long weekend of Running and racing.

It was indeed a lot of running this weekend. For the week I ran 58.5 miles and felt good for the most part. Saturday was my long run of 21 miles and did good until last mile. Started to cramp and had to really slow down and take it easy as I waddled on in to the car! Still was pleased to get it done, spent 2:50:00 enjoying the darkness (11 miles solo) and then 10 miles with the group and watching the sunrise.

Sunday I was signed up for two races. The first race was a 8K that is challenging, hills, 3 big bridges and some cobblestone. I finished well (17 out of roughly 275) and kept a pretty steady pace with my time of 33:32 (8 seconds faster than last year). With the warm up and cool down that gave me 9 miles for the morning. The only downer was one of my arch nemisis showed up at the race and Jeff beat me by 8 seconds. Just nothing in the legs to do the final kick. Still Jeff and I did the cool down run together. First time Jeff has beat me in 3 years and it was bound to happen (Saturday run was taking its toll LOL). Finished 3rd in AG (male 45-49) but 1st for Hardware purposes (first two were masters award winners).

Sunday afternoon rolls around and this time it is a 5K with roughly 300 runners on a course I have not run officially before. Did a nice easy warm up of 1.5 miles and then the race starts. I can tell my legs are not having a lot of fun despite the will to go faster. The goal was to try to break 20 minutes on this race but alas was not destined to happen. Final time was 20:30 and I did finish a clean 1st age group. The masters winners were in the 40-44 and one in the 50-54 age group. In a straight race I think I would have finished 2nd Masters and had a nicer piece of hardware but I am still pleased with my race.

Overall I feel good, tired legs and will take it easier this week. Feel good about going sub 1:30:00 on the battleship half marathon (same nasty 3 big bridges) in November and doing a Boston qualify time at the Las Vegas Marathon.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Kurt

Comments:
Enjoy the "easy" week. Good luck for the training for Las Vegas.
 
2 races in the same day and both very fast. You are a real "ironman". I am sure you will easily break the wall of the 1.30.00 in the half marathon. However here we have a recordman with 3 races on the same sunday: he is an over 70 so where he goes he wins his age group!
 
Congrats on both races! I think you'll have no problems with qualifying for Boston!
 
Good job on the 21 miler...man, that's about 30 minutes faster than I ran my 22 miler...And 2 races 24 hours later...way to get more hardware!! I kind of wish I got into more races, they are just so expensive around here. Most 5Ks are at least $20...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?