Sunday, April 22, 2007

 
Spinal Victory 10 Mile Race Report

Today I ran my second race in Long Island. It was a beautiful day finally (it took 3 weeks before the sun came out). They had both a 5K and the 10 miler with about 300 and 200 runners in each.

This was a training run for me with a goal to run 68 min but no more than 70 min. I felt this was very achievable given the up and down training I have had recently. Despite the long hours at work and the tired legs I did my usual 2+ mile warm up and went to the starting line.

First 3 miles were on target and then I began to cramp. I had leg cramps in my calves and the left hamstring off and on from that point to the end of the race.

Here are the mile splits:

1)6:40
2)6:46
3)6:52
4)7:05
5)7:21
6)7:24
7)7:21
8)7:12
9)7:19
10)7:05

Total time was 1:11:17
Finished 2nd in A/G and I think around 18th overall of the 200 or so that entered.

The last mile of the race was a bit more fun. The guy who beat me by 8 seconds at last weeks race caught up to me as well as the guy who was right behind me at the same race. I knew both were in my age group so I stayed with them until the last .1 mile. At that point we all sprinted and I beat them both by 7 seconds. The guy from last week who finished 3rd in A/G finished 4th in the A/G this time.

I see a big nap in my future today and more stretching of the legs.

Enjoy the day everyone!

Kurt

Comments:
great job Kurt, your speed never ceases to impress me! enjoy the well deserved nap!!
 
Way to sprint it out at the end to take 2nd! Those 2 guys didn't know who they were dealing with!

Nice work... you earned that nap!!
 
I've had fun catching up on your blog posts that I missed.

-Go easy on the chocolate.
-Did you really think that Ginger was my real name? LOL! I guess it could be, but if someone had that last name, it'd be so cruel to give their daughter that first name. And just so you know, sometimes I do run races under that name (not marathons), and I do get lots of running promo mail under that name.

You did an amazing job in your 10 mile race - to have cramps at mile 3, and then to stick it out with pretty consistent pacing for the remainder - that's awesome! And 1:17 off your goal time with leg cramps is pretty decent. Sounds like you had some fun in the process. Stretch, drink lots, and eat bananas - the potassium is good for muscle cramps. (and they go well with chocolate :)
 
Nice!! Where's the photo finish?!?!
 
Whoo, beat 'em both while struggling with leg cramps! You ROCK!!!
 
Nice work! Congrats on a strong race!
 
Way to out-kick 'em!
 
Yeah for beating other people!!!

Wait, did I just say that outloud???
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?