Saturday, May 12, 2007

 
Race for Brain Cancer Cure 5k

Today I decided to do the above mentioned race even though I knew my speed would be typical sloth time for me. I still need a few weeks to recover from the Flying Pig so I approached this as more of a tempo run to start shaking the legs loose again in preparation for 5K training.

The race was beautiful, 75 but windy and was right on the board walk at Jones Beach on Long Island.

Did my usual 2 mile warm up and then prep for the race.

Splits are as follows:

Mile 1) 6:14
Mile 2) 6:35
Last 1.16) 6:57

Total time was 20:54 on a 3.16 mile course for an average pace of 6:37.

Distance was long I had 3.16 miles, others were closer to 3.2 miles with all of our GPS.

Overall I was 10th out of roughly 200 who participated in it, 3rd in the age group but 2nd for hardware in the Male 40-49 age group (I don't particularly like 10 year age groups but still manage to place)

The race director was the daughter whose father has recently passed away from brain cancer. She showed great poise, did a great job on the race and I was honored to provide my support and money to her cause. I always enjoy doing races that support a family or medical research.

Now for a nap, another short run this afternoon and a movie tonight.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Kurt

Comments:
Hey... I actually know where you were. I've been to Jones Beach. Hopefully you are getting all settled on Long Island.

As usual, congrats on another great race and more hardware!
 
Hope you're liking the new place. Happy running!
 
Some races are more meaningful than others, My sister Laura died from brain cancer at the young age of 31. So, I personally give you a heart felt thank you for running this race.
Nice job.
 
Hi Kurt! I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such supportive comments! :)

I dream of being a runner one day, and reading you posts helps fuel that. Congrats on your race!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?