Thursday, May 17, 2007

 
Wednesday Speedwork

Last night I ran in a 5K that is put on weekly by the running club I
joined on Long Island. It was really wet and a bit windy but just a
real joy to run in (it was warm enough thankfully). They do the full
thing, anyone can run, issue age group ribbons and have water and
snacks at the end.

My goal was just to run 2 miles to warm up, do the 3.1 miles at 10K
pace (about 77% effort) and then a 2 mile cool down. I am still
getting my legs back and didn't want to push it to hard.

My splits were real consistent for a change. 1st mile was 6:32,
followed by splits of 6:36 and mile 3 at 6:37 and :39 for the
remaining .1 Total time was 20:24 for avg pace of 6:34. Overall was
8th out of roughly 55 who showed (weather kept the numbers down I
suspect) and 2nd in age group.

I met some of the runners who are on the club racing team and they
were nice folks. The Grand Prix series is based on team performance
against other teams and each age group earns points. I should be able
to contribute to the team with consistent top 5 age group placements.

The guy who won the age group ran 20:03 and was his PR. After I
congratulated him he did ask what my normal times were. After I
explained for target races I will be typically in the low to mid 19's
he said he look forward to the competition. So do I!

Enjoy the day.

Comments:
It's very cool to meet up with someone that will challenge you!
 
So you finished 21 seconds behind him on a day you were coasting.
I hope you beat him soon. It's time you had a first-place finish!
 
that'll be fun to have that competition, nice job!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?