Monday, June 25, 2007

 
4 Mile Championship Race Results

Saturday I ran the 4 mile Long Island Championship race. It was a beautiful day, sunny with a nice breeze and temps around 70 with no humidity. This race was further east than I realized and good thing I left plenty early.

Did my warm up of 2.75 miles and and the course is advertised as a flat fast course. I could see a little hill for the start (going down so knew their would be one on the way up somewhere). Took off and felt comfortable and did the first mile at about 6:12. Mile 2 was flat and settled into a pace and hit the 2nd mile at 6:30 (tad slower than I hoped but not to far off). Mile 3 came and everything fell apart for me. The hill that was relatively flat seemed to take it out of me. It was a steady climb with an elevation change of 350 feet and more than anything I lost focus on it. Mile 3 came and pace was down to 7:42. Mile 4 I did what I could and hit it about 6:45.

Total time 27:12 6:44 pace. Finished 43/647 overall and 10/48 in M45-49 age group. I was seriously disappointed with my time and effort in the second half of the race. Ran the 4 mile race at the same pace as a 15K race. I still think I should have ran sub 26 on this course but it just didn't happen today. There is always next year though.

I am taking a break from racing for a few weeks and next race is a 5 miler on July 14th.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Comments:
Hey, I have a 5 miler on July 15th! It's flat - on country roads. Working on a strategy now...any tips?
P.S. I would be very pleased with those times.
 
That's a lot of racing you've been doing lately. Have a short but well-deserved break!
 
Maybe you need a rest week. :-)

Not every race can be great (at least that is what I try to remind myself). I'm sure you will come back strong on the 14th and will own this course next year!
 
I know you aren't happy, but I think it sounds like you did awesome! :) Enjoy your time off the road, I hope that you surprise yourself with how well you do on the 14th!! :)
 
That's the thing with races. We can plan it all, and weather can even cooperate, but sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. Could just be your body saying hey, I need a break...rest, recover and shake it off for the next one. Did you do enough rest the days prior to it?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?