Thursday, June 14, 2007

 
After flying back from NC and spending two days with packers and movers to move the sty north, I arrived in time to do the weekly Wednesday night summer 5K. The weather was not as nice and the crowd was smaller as a result.

I ran consistent with the past few weeks, finished in a time of 20:28 (6:35 pace). 6th out of 128 and 2nd out of 15 in A/G (M45-49). The fun part was I was not pushing still running at 15K pace and effort was only 74%. Came in handy at the end having the extra energy when I caught the two guys in front of me with a half mile to go. Both were in my age group and I recognize them and I just drafted until 200 meters to go. As I pulled up to them I said their was one guy in our age group ahead of us so we were racing for 2nd and 3rd place. One guy kicked and we all took off but they faded and I did a decent kick of 75 seconds. Finished 8 seconds ahead of 3rd A/G place guy and 14 seconds ahead of the guy who finished 4th in A/G.

Fun night and look forward to doing a race or two this weekend.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Kurt

P.S. Note to Jessi, speed is relative. I know for some that is fast for others it is slow. My expectations for my target 5K race this fall is sub 19 min. I have 30 second per mile to knock off and run closer to 90% effort.

Comments:
i'd be curious to know what you think makes you fast, training fast? strength training? Nice job! Hope your moving goes well
 
I love it when you get to outkick someone at the end! Makes it so fun.

I agree with Neese--what's your speed secret? Obviously a lot of God-given talent, but do you swear by a weekly track workout, some weights, certain level of mileage, etc?
 
What a kick!

Sounds like there was plenty left in the tank to be chatting at that point in the race. Although I'd have said to the other guys, "I'm really in the 40-45 age group".

I hope the move is going smooth. Good luck with it Speedster.
 
Nice has a really good question. Maybe you can answer it for those that same perpetually slow.

; )

And yes, I do plan to answer your email soon!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?