Friday, June 15, 2007

 
Follow up to Running Faster questions.

Yesterday I posted about a race and the question Neese asked and others followed up is how do you get faster. A great question and others have asked it before.

First I want to remind everyone speed is relative. For some a 20 min 5K is flying, for others it would be really slow. That being said here is my response.

Each of us are different and unique. You can only do so much with what was given to you by your parents. However a few simple things have been proven to work.

First you need to have a good base mileage. For me that is 40 miles a week. Their are a lot of plans out their but the vast majority all have some base mileage of x miles.

Second thing I believe you have to do is go to the track. For the 5K I believe strongly in doing 200 meter runs and toss in some 400/800 meters. Why the 200 meter run? Foot turnover. I run my 200's around 35 seconds, take a 90 second job and do it again for 8-10 times. It is critical to do the speedwork.

Third, find some hills. Hills are your best friend. They make you stronger, faster and teach you to run when your not comfortable.

Fourth, nothing replaces running. The machines at the gym keep you in good cardio shape but will not make you faster.

Fifth, have a plan. Make sure you target a race and for the 5K 6 weeks out is usually sufficient.

Sixth, for a 5K a little taper is needed but not a whole lot. I see to many runners take to much time off for the 5K and treat it much like a longer race.

Seventh, and the most critical, for the 5K you just have to accept it is going to hurt. To run it fast you are running at 88-92% of effort. Basically you are pushing the whole way. To run the 5K effectively you will be running way above your comfort zone. I maintain to run a 5K well it is harder than a marathon. Not everyone agrees but to push yourself at the higher effort is very difficult. I have severe asthma so for me I know I am hitting my full out when I cross the finish line and either getting sick or passing out. I know that maybe a bit extreme but that is how I gauge myself.

I am 46 and for me a good time is sub 19 minutes. That is my goal and something I am going to do this fall.

Good luck to all who want to get faster, just believe in it and go for it!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
excellent Kurt this is golden information I will study it! :)
 
How does cheesecake and beer figure into the nutrition? :p
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?