Monday, June 18, 2007

 
Today I finished my 3rd 5K race in the past 5 days and this was a
really fun race. It was in memory of a fire chief who died in the
line of duty on father's day 6 years ago and the turn out was
enormous. Total for both the 5K race and the 1 mile fun run exceeded
over 2,000.

It was a hot day with temps at the start already 86 and it hit 90 by
the time we finished. With the tired legs from yesterday's race and
the heat I knew it would be a real challenge to run back to back sub
20 min 5K's and it turned out it wasn't meant to be.

The only real complaint I had was at the start of the race a bunch of
kids jumped up near the front after they were told not to. Many of
the kids were pushed out of the way and a few did hit the pavement
unfortunately but they should have not started the race and made them
go to the back where they belong.

Splits were:

Mile 1) 6:15
Mile 2) 6:39
Mile 3) 6:43
Mile .1) 0:48

Total Time 20:26 avg pace of 6:35

Overall finished 30 out 1,449 who finished, 5/107 in M 45-49 age group
but 1st in Military or prior Military age group. I was very happy
with this as it was a beautiful piece of hardware. If I hadn't done
the race yesterday I would have most likely taken 3rd in the age group.

On a side note I did pass the same guy again at around 1.5 mile mark
that I had beaten the last two races. I could see he was struggling
and did come in about 2 minutes behind me. Heat really got to him.

They had a great post race meal, free beer and ice cream. I really
enjoyed the day at the race and was a nice end to the speed week training.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Kurt

Comments:
I imagine that you have an extra room in the new place to keep all the trophies you've got!
 
Free beer and ice cream... my kind of race!

Great job on another solid performance! Maybe one day I'll be able to run 1 mile as fast as you can run 3 or more. :-)
 
Oh look, another race where Kurt goes 20:xx. I'd hate you, but you're too nice. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?