Sunday, July 08, 2007

 
Eating out

Saturday night I took the crew to a local eating establishment that specializes in steak near the house that I just purchased. As we were sitting my youngest asks me what something on the menu was just as the food server shows up. Here is pretty much how the transcript of our conversation.

Waitress: What is the question?
Me: She was asking what so so is
Waitress: Where are you all from?
Daughter: We just moved from NC
Waitress: Ah that explains it, I understand your question. This thing is called a menu.
Me: What are you talking about? (I am just totally shocked what she has said)
Waitress: This is a menu and they list what we serve (and then she proceeds to read the menu to us)
Me: Just stop we know how to read a menu
Me: Where is your road kill?
Waitress: What?
Me: Roadkill stew you have any? How about some possum steak? Any roasted pig feet with BBQ?
Waitress: I am going to go get the manager
Manager: What is going on sir
Me: I explain the whole thing to him and tell him we are leaving for some other establishment that knows how to treat people a little better. At that point just left while they were saying some unkind things about southern folks and me saying at least in the South the treat you with respect. Maddie and I found a better place down the road where they assume we knew what a menu was LOL.

I know things are different in NY but that was something else. Besides they didn't have grits, BBQ or cornbread on the menu!

On the brighter side I ran 40.85 miles this week with more hill work going.

Comments:
Ridiculous! I hope that sort of rudeness isn't typical of that area. Good that you stood up for yourself.

I'm going to have a BBQ sauce foot sauna in a sec.
 
Wow, NY is known for rude, to a degree, but I'm sorry, something that extremely rude is just absolutely uncalled for. I don't get some people.

I would've walked out too.
 
wow! pretty amazing. I'm still curious what it was on the menu that Maddie was wonderering about. There's a a restaurant that another blogger told me about in Boston where the waitstaff is intentionally rude and it's funny to see the tourists not get it and try and figure it out. (Not so in your case - pretty sad for the establishment in NY.) For what it's worth, you SHOULD be able to find good BBQ and REAL southern fare in any big city. There was an entire article in the Seattle paper last Sunday that listed all the good REAL BBQ eats in the city. I hope you find a better spot in NY for when you get the craving again.
 
What?!? How rediculous and rude!!

40.85 miles... not too shabby. What's next on the race schedule?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?