Saturday, August 11, 2007

 
Merchant Mile Race Report

Today I ran the 1 mile race. This is the first time as a master runner I have done a mile race. Given the issues I have been having with my heels, kidney's and lack of consistent running I was hoping for a time on or around 5:45. I knew despite everything I should be able to kick out a sub 6 min mile.

The mile race is done on the street with a point to point course, fairly flat and just a few small gentle winding curves but they were not much of an issue. Weather was decent and they do the race in waves. I was slotted for the first wave which is the Master's competitive runners. The expectations is everyone should do sub 6:30.

There were 90 of us in this group. I did a nice 3.5 mile warm up and was as ready as I was ever going to be. Left heel was bothering me some but I didn't think much about it.

Race started, I went out quickly and then settled into my pace. I hit the first half mile at 2:42 and was feeling it. Last half seem to take forever and I finished it in 2:45 and only because of the final kick in the last 100 meters. I was passed by two runners but caught 3 others for the mad scramble to finish. Final time was 5:27 which was good enough for 14th in my wave and 6/26 in the age group. Top two in my age group finished sub 5 min miles. I did do my usual 2 mile cool down run.

Overall I was pleased with the race despite hurting like the dickens at the end of it. Running the mile is hard work. I believe I could take another 10-12 seconds off with some decent training.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Comments:
Holy crap that's fast! Glad you met your goal!!!!

No kidney report???
 
Congrats on the awesome mile! Hope the stones are... gone. :)
 
Congratulations on a good time. Glad you're satisfied with it.
 
Glad to hear you're out and running.
Sub 6 miler! GREAT
I ran my TT mile today @ 7:46...
 
OK, that's fast, even with the issues and not training for it per se...I know I have a sub 6:00 in me...I'm thinking I could probably manage a 5:30 if I really pushed it...they do hurt though don't they?
 
Wow that is fast! Nice work and way to acheive your goal!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?