Monday, August 20, 2007

 
Seattle Trip and race report.

Friday I traveled to Seattle to see family and friends. While there I elected to do a 10K. In hind sight I probably should have skipped it and just done a training run. Friday proved to be a travel day from hell as I was re routed around the country and after 12.5 hours I finally made it into Seattle around 5 pm. After meeting my friends and having dinner I settled down for the night and before I knew it I was up and getting ready for the race.

We arrived a bit later than I would have liked but was able to register and do a 1.5 mile warm up. Race started and off we went. First half of the race went well, ran a steady 6:30 pace which was my goal. Unfortunately at the turn around point I could feel my legs giving out and began to slow down. Last half of the race was slow with miles around the 7 min pace.

Final time was 42:16 for a 6:45 pace.

The most interesting thing was the end when I went to find the results they told me I was 47th and 9th in my age group. That struck me odd as I knew there were some folks ahead of me but that seem high given I had seen who was ahead of me at the turn around. I asked my friend who was there and he had counted 28 people ahead of me which was consistent with what I was thinking. The event did have a 5K race that started 20 minutes after we did and it turned out they combined the race databases and did not split it out. So I don't know yet how I did relative to age group but appears that I was about 29th overall out of 300-400 who did the 10K.

I did manage to go to the zoo with Coach Tammy afterwards and enjoyed the visit to the zoo. The zoo was much smaller than I remembered which was good as I was tired and ready for a nap after the stroll.

I am currently writing this from the Seattle Airport on my way to Dubuque Iowa and everything is delayed. The fun for traveling continues and it looks like I will be staying over for the night in Chicago.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Kurt

Comments:
I hope you make it back to NY with no more hassles!
 
42.16 is a very fast pace, congratulations. Sometimes the organization gets into the troubles and makes confusion: this time you were the victim. I remember when a race, 6 years ago, began 2 minutes before and I was not at the start. Well to "smoke" the runners one by one until the end was a wonderful sensation .
 
Wow, nice reroute and a long flight...I didn't know it took 12.5 hours to get from NY to WA...this country gets bigger every year! :)

Not a bad race, OK, so not quite the pace you wanted, but only 15 seconds per mile slower, so that's not bad. Especially considering everything.

I've been to that zoo...they had a baby elephant when I was there. It was so cute!
 
Words Neese will never in her lifetime say: "Last half of the race was slow with miles around the 7 min pace."

lol.

great job!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?