Monday, March 10, 2008

 
Putting it in perspective.

I had intended to make some lame attempt to write something witty but the past few days have put things into perspective. I ran a 15K on Saturday that may have been the most challenging course I have run outside of a 10K that I do in the summer. Time was 1:06:13 finished 63/654 and 12/64 in age group. I know I can do better but that isn't what put it in perspective.

I went to graduate school at University of North Carolina where the student body president was murdered a few days ago. She was a very bright, beautiful young woman who had so much going for her and someone just eliminated it in a blink of an eye. What a waste and I can only hope that the person who did such a horrible thing lives with it everyday of their worthless life.

On the brighter side dook lost to UNC (dook still sucks). UNC should be a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament and I think they have a real shot at the title this year.

YTD Stats:

Run 211.4 miles
Swim 8,650 meters
Bike 398.85 miles

Sunday I did a recovery run of 5 miles with a 14.4 mile bike ride and I am still sore.

Oh I did get a picture in the mail of Running Amy and she and Troy are such a good looking couple. Need to find the right kind of gift (thinking sheep still) for them! Also check out my running buddy Andy's blog, he is more nuts than I am for doing a race that the truly nutty ones would do!! Good luck Andy, if you live let us know how it goes.

Enjoy the week and if you have a few moments remember those who have passed away. It does put it in perspective for us.

Comments:
Hi Kurt,
I was also horrified to hear of the student body president's murder. I just don't get it sometimes. I'm sorry to hear it hit close to home for you.

On a lighter note, thanks for visiting my blog. I'm an extremely new runner, still learning so much. I love running and wish I found it years ago. And you're right about meeting great people along the way. Even on my regular runs, I've met so many people (and a dog...lol)

I have a hip flexor injury that has me sidelined way more than any marathon recovery period will. Pulled it in yoga 6-7 weeks ago. It flared up at about mile 19 in the marathon. My coach basically told me to expect to rest for 3 weeks and let it heal properly. Waitressing 3 nights a week isn't helping that. That's where he got the 3 week recovery number, but I do understand I can start back up when I feel better. Thank you for the input, all comments and tips are always welcome!!!

Nice to meet you, Kurt!! I'm enjoying reading your blog, and I already joined JOR!!

Kim
 
i always laugh at the "duke still sucks reference"..

as you may know..we have folks chanting the same kinda thing here..."michigan still sucks"..

9 miles in 1:06 ???
you are a different breed than me....

or has my wife been training you ???/ ;)
 
Thanks for the encouragement to survive my upcoming 3 days race! I guess I'm a true lunatic. I hope I don't get lost. Maybe that should be the least of my worries.
 
We wrote about the same topic, remembering those who have passed away. But I also remember the beautiful days spent together with them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?