Sunday, March 16, 2008

 
St. Patrick's Race report

I ran the race making a last minute decision to do so. The race is in the Hampton's in Long Island boasting to be a flat fast course running through some of the most expensive properties in the US. I can say the course was flat and fast (plus long they admitted they started the race in the wrong spot.

The 3.2 mile race was a beautiful course and the mansions were amazing. Truly fun to see what some peoples style of living was.

As far as the race I had run some hard hills on Saturday and was still feeling the race from last weekend along with having a sore right knee. The intent of the race was to simply break 20 min and call it a tempo run. I did my usual 2.5 mile warm up and after a 15 min delay we took off.

I quickly settled into my pace (slow for me) and crossed the 1st mile at 6:15 but felt ok. I pretty much kept up the same pace and we all settled into the order we were going to finish. The only fun was around the half way mark a young male passed me and eventually pulled about 50-70 meters ahead of me. I hit the 2 mile mark at 6:20 and was still feeling good.

3rd mile I did in 6:18 and eventually caught the kid who had passed me and I could tell he was spent. I kicked a little but realized that the finish was further than I thought and just held onto the pace. Final time was 20:11 (19:31 on the 5K mark) and finished 7th overall out of roughly 100 and 1st in the age group (M40-49).

Given how I ran last week and the extra miles I did yesterday I was pleased with my time. I do believe on a flat course with accurate measurements I can break 19 again. It still remains a goal of mine this year.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Kurt

Comments:
Congratulations on coming in first. That's fast for an old guy.
; )
 
Nice job!! Great finish!!!
 
great finish Kurt!
 
nice little race report...and congrats on the age group first place...

did you stop by my mansion on the race route LOL

have a good one
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?