Monday, June 23, 2008

 
Running Update

I have now been working with my running coach for a month and have found it to be an interesting experience. I find that the mileage isn't much different than what I was doing but she is pushing me more with increased speed work. I do more intervals, more fartlek and strides than I have ever done before. While my legs are feeling it I am getting more consistent in my speed work for a change and running smoother. Times haven't dropped much but I do expect by fall the times will be back in the range I am expecting out myself.

On days I would sometimes bag a run I find that having to be accountable to someone else has made me get out and do the run. It is giving me more motivation and once I mentally get back into racing again I will be pulling it all together and looking to set new Master's PR this and next year.

One of the little things I have been doing is after my long run on Saturday's I go to the beach here on Long Island. The nice thing is the water is really still cold in the low 60's. Usually it is me and a bunch of kids in the water until I can't stand it anymore. Still it beats doing an ice bath and helps the legs recover quicker.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Kurt

Comments:
hard to believe *you* need a coach! Glad it's working out nicely tho!

I hear you about the turnover (ref. your comment on my blog).. but having the proper stride first is going to help me work on that... before i was turning over turning over like i was running in place, this way i feel like i'm gaining ground
 
Best thing I ever did was walk into Lake Superior after my first marathon. Talk about cold water and a refresher. I think I lasted 30 seconds...twice.
 
Now, if only the cold water turned to beer....
 
It took me awhile to see speed improvement from interval training - but I felt stronger right away!
Keep up with this and I'm sure you will beat your next PR.
 
I know what you mean by feeling accountable.

I've yet to force myself to do the ice bath thing. Maybe someday.

Keep up the great work and crush that PR!
 
Right nutrition helps me take best from every workout and make my runs more comfortable. I've read a lot about right nutrition and trainings at militarygradenutritionals.com/blog. This information helps me achieve my running goals and make my exercises more effective.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?